background

Saturday, June 22, 2013

Day 6: Quick and Tasty Grilled Pork Kebabs

 
 
This meal is a great quick week-night meal I just made up as I went.  Normally if I was making kebabs I would marinate the meat thoroughly overnight, however, I didn't have that luxury this week and I wanted to try something new so I decided to use ground pork, it's packed full of flavor and the fats keep the meat nice and juicy and tender. In this instance I made 3 flavors, Sweet Thai Chilli, Satay , and then for fun I did Panda Express' Mandarin Sauce. Individualizing these is easy, you simply baste the sauces on while you grill. I threw together a quick noodle stir fry to accompany it and whualla... a tasty, quick meal that my whole family LOVED! the novelty of eating off a stick never wears off in my house!



Ingredients

2 lbs Ground Pork
3 Green Onions, finely chopped
1 TBSP freshly minced ginger
3 Garlic Cloves Minced
1 TBSP Oyster Sauce
1 generous Splash of Fish Sauce (Preferred brand is Squid)
Kebab Skewers

Basting Sauces of your choice.. obviously I prefer home my Satay Marinade Recipe and Sweet Chili sauces but we don't always have time to make it all, so if you do use pre-made sauces don't be cheap get a really good quality tasting sauce, because there are some really disgusting ones out there!

Satay Sauce
Sweet Chili Sauce
Mandarin (from Panda Express - found this is the Asian food section at walmart and though what the heck lets try this guy)
 
NOTE: These kebabs can be prepared ahead of time, it just infuses more flavor to the pork. I made mine in the morning while my baby was napping and refrigerated them until I was ready to grill in the evening, that's what makes this such a quick, easy recipe

1. Combine all above ingredients in a bowl, the  best way is to just take off your rings and dig in with your hands until it is evenly mixed through, you want to make sure the garlic and ginger is evenly incorporated


2. Have your bowl of kebab mix, a tray and wooden skewers lined up and ready. I lined my tray with plastic, you don't have to do that it's just sometimes nicer on the clean up.






3. Take a small handful of meat , slightly larger than a golf ball and roll into ball shape.
 
4.  Gently Press skewer into meat.
 
5. Wrap meat around the skewer, and work it up and down until it encompasses it evenly.
 
 
It should look like this.
 
6.  Refrigerate when done.
 Heat up your grill and get your individual sauces in bowls with basting brushes ready.
 
7.  When Grill is hot, place kebabs on direct heat, these cook quickly. Once your first side is browned turn them and baste the cooked side, then flip them again basting as you do it.
You want your sauce to be caramelize and cook onto the meat. Do not over cook, remove from heat and serve hot over your favorite stirfry noodles, fried rice, or for a low carb option remove from skewer and eat with a zesty salad.
Stir Fry Noodles cooked on the side burner of my BBQ!,
 

No comments:

Post a Comment