background

Saturday, June 15, 2013

Day 4: Grilled Steak with Green Chimichurri sauce

 
 
Chimichurri Marinated Flank Steak from Bobby Flay
 
 
I think chimichurri is one of my favorite marinades. The bold flavors can be intensified after cooking by adding more sauce. I served my steaks on freshly grilled corn and flour tortillas.. but it was great the next day on my salad as well.  
The original recipe calls for skirt steak... would have been great but none of the stores in town had any and the closest I could find was Flank Steak... and considering the cost of beef right now this was a super cheap cut of meat. Marinating it simply tenderized it, one cut feeds approximately 6-8 people.
 
 
My Oregano plant got quite the hair cut for this recipe.

Ingredients
Flank Steak (If you have skirt steak then grab that!)

16 Garlic cloves
2 cups fresh flat leaf parsley leaves
1 cup fresh oregano leaves
1 cup fresh mint leaves
2 tsp red pepper flakes
1/2 cup red wine vinegar
1 cup canola oil
Kosher Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 1/2 pounds skirt or flank steak cut crosswise into 3 pieces

1. Marinate the steak in the green chimichurri: Combine the Garlic, Parsley, Oregano, Mint, Red Pepper Flakes, Vinegar and Canola Oil in a food processor and process until smooth.  Put the steak in a large baking dish or ziplock bag, add half of the green chimichurri sauce, and turn to coat.  Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours and up to 24 hours.  Refrigerate the remaining sauce separately.

marinating in glass dish, I think it would work in plastic ziplock as well.



2.  Thirty minutes before cooking, remove the steak from the refrigerator and transfer to a place.  Discard the marinade.  Heat your grill to high for direct grilling (meaning we will be cooking directly over the flame or heat source)
3.  Season the steaks with salt and pepper on both sides.  Grill until charred on both sides and cooked to medium-rare, about 5 minutes per side.  Remove the steaks to a cutting board, tent loosely with foil and let rest for at least 5 minutes.


Note: I had my grill heated up and as hot as it would go but one of my burners was not working, I didn't quite achieve the char that I wanted to in this instance.

4.  Cut the meat across the grain into thin slices and top with reserved chimichurri.  Serve with warm tortillas or on a salad.
My Tortillas waiting happily under the plates as the steak cooks.





No comments:

Post a Comment